[at-l] Snake Anti-venom Availability

Ozzie hikingvagabond at cox.net
Tue Aug 1 09:13:44 CDT 2006

You are exactly right. It was reported that this guy was either trying to
kill or catch the snake and from his appearance it could very well have been
alcohol related. I have personally walked right by snakes a number of times
and the snakes never even moved. The only snake bite in my family was my
grandmother in Tennessee who reached in a corn crib for corn and disturbed a
copperhead which bit her. She too went to a small nearby town for treatment
and was sent on to Nashville about forty miles away where she was treated.
She recovered without incident. The closest I have ever come to possibly
getting bit was when I was gathering firewood just as it was getting pretty
dark.  I bent down at least twice to pick up a branch and hesitated and
straightened up each time not really knowing why. Eventually, I recognized
it as a snake and it turned out to be a copperhead. Evidently, my
subconscious somehow was speaking to me in recognition of what it was.
Although, I was standing easily in striking distance since I didn't bother
the snake, it didn't bother me.   Ozzie