[at-l] Problem in SW Virginia

pudscrawler at aol.com pudscrawler at aol.com
Mon Aug 7 19:37:15 CDT 2006

I think our hikers should be aware that we have a "situation" in the backwoods between Atkins and Mt. Rogers in SW Virginia involving a young man (age 22) who is living at campsites he sets up near horse trails.  He has broken into numerous homes at night with the people asleep there.  He has been very selective about what he takes (travelling lightweight), but this past week he included taking guns.  He has been at this for some time now, all of this year.  The Smyth County Sheriff's Office has several pictures of him, his entire biography, all that.  They just don't know where he is.  He seems to be primarily a thrill seeker, but the thrills may be escalating.  The horse trails cross and parallel the AT at some places.

A juvenile female (whatever that means) is said to be traveling with him, but lots of things are being said.  I am told that he hit a house at Troutdale this weekend.  I am told that a woman found him in her kitchen and threatened him with a butcher knife at which point he ran.  I do know that he has entered a bedroom but left when he saw a young woman in bed whom he thought was asleep.  Still, no home invader should be considered a nonthreat.

--Kinnickinic