[at-l] Trip report August 1,2,3

Arthur Gaudet rockdancer97 at comcast.net
Sun Aug 13 20:24:12 CDT 2006

This is my first 3-day hike in the series that I'm doing. This one was on the AT
from the Dorchester-Lyme Road (outside of Hanover, NH) to the town of Glencliff,
NH.

Day 1 - 3.7 miles, 2000 foot ascent. It was also a day to practice my
hitchhiking skills, which are also out-of-shape. Parked the car at the Glencliff
trailhead, tail in so the locals won't know I'm from Mass. With a late start
from home I was ready to hitch by 2:30 PM, on a heat-advisory day. It sure felt
like serious heat while standing on the side of the road. 5 rides and 3 hours
later I had traveled the 37 miles to my starting point. The trail heads straight
up Smart's Mountain from the trailhead on this dirt road. The old fire warden's
cabin looks in better shape than in '99, the last time I was here, but it's
filled to overflowing with a kid's summercamp group from Boston. I look over the
tentsites and pick the last one available, although a Dad & son duo offered to
squeeze me in, and sounded very sincere about it. As night fell I was feeling
pretty good about what I had accomplished so far.

Day 2 - 12.7 miles, 2500 foot ascent. OK, this time I remembered to bring a
water filter and then forgot to use it a few times. I guess that's better than
just leaving it behind as I did on my last trip. The water at South Jacob's
Brook, down from Smart's Mtn. looked fine enough to drink, although I'd be
careful about the North Fork of the same brook. As I snacked and drank at South
Jacob's I realized that something was missing - the cool wooden bridge built
with cable tensioning! I always thought of it as a Dartmouth's student's thesis
project. Looked around for the footings and anchors and found a pile of wrecked
wood, neatly stacked, and one footing remaining high on the bank. I imagine the
snowmelt tore it free one of the past few winters. It's another heat-advisory
day so I drank plenty, and also looked forward to napping on top of Mt. Cube. Of
course the gradual buildup of clouds meant it had to shower about 20 mins. after
lying down for my nap! Remembered how to bag all my stuff quickly and double bag
the sleep sack.

Reached the Ore Hill Shelter, a new one for me. My thoughts were all about Dizzy
B and her Atwell Hilton (at Atwell Hill Rd) over the years. I think I visited
her 3 times, quite a character. At the shelter I set up my tent and talked with
Wayward, a sobo hiker. As we talked a nobo hiker named Tex came in. Tex is from
Australia - what's the joke about being separated by a common language?

With about 4000 miles under my belt on the AT I'm a little shocked when I find a
completely new situation. It happened this night that I was barefoot at the
shelter and had a short walk to my tent, after dark. (yah, I've got to add
sandals or something to my gear list). Well, I got into the tent after a
slippery muddy walk, and lay down to read & fall asleep. As this was my second
day I expected some scent in the tent, but started to feel overwhelmed by a
strong odor. Yup, I'd stepped in dogshit along the way and had now smeared it
over the inside of my tent and sleep sack. After being pissed at some under dog
& master I rallied and scraped what I could off, then rolled over and went to
sleep.

Day 3 - 7.4 miles, 1200 foot ascent. So this day is only a couple of hills, a
walk by the pond (if you know where to look for it) and then downhill to the
car. To make the most of it I planned to wash my tent & blanket at the pond,
relax & cool off before ending the trip and driving back home. Another hot day
so when I put on my still wet hiking clothes they smell strongly of ammonia. The
walk at first is OK, but then the truck & construction noise gets louder and
louder. Notices on the trail say they're cleaning up the old mine area on Ore
Hill - oh, btw, the Ore Hill Shelter is actually on Atwell Hill, probably
because the water isn't potable at Ore Hill. After passing all the noise I made
it down to Wauchipauka Pond on the spur trail, got out the gear & took my boots
off, and then it started raining! I guess I wasn't getting a nap on this trip so
I headed to the car and home.

(Physically I was able to do the walking without much trouble, although I wish I
remembered to bring hiking poles. The next day I was feeling some impact, and
walked with a painful limp for Friday & Saturday. All was better on Sunday.)

--RockDancer