[at-l] Backpack question

Sloetoe sloetoe at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 16 07:21:16 CDT 2006

### If I have this right, boulder, you're going from
Kent->Katahdin (~750 miles, iirc?), starting September
1, and want to know if 3200 will be enough, down from
your prior 3500ci.

1) How much room did you have in your pack at 3500?
2) What other gear changes are you looking at?

Some lightweight gear can have a "bulk" tradeoff. As
well, if you're going to be prepared for some
comfort/flexibility below freezing {like GA, you want
to be able to go down to 20*F without too much
problem}, you're going to get more bulk there.

If you're going to have any room for food, you need to
make sure the cold weather gear gets in there first,
then size the pack from there.

750 miles, starting in the Whites and going north,
thencely south to Kent, will still give you a good 7
to 8 weeks on the trail: 20*F mornings should be
expected.

FWIW, my winter pack (0*F, -10*F with a push) goes 18
pounds before food/water, but between 3500-5000ci,
depending on how much I wish to squish things (not
healthy for down) -- so my pack looks mighty big,
whether it's got food or not. You could get by with
less at 20*F, but it'd be equipment-dependent.

Hope that helps --
sloetoe

--- "boulder ..." <boulder_a_t at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm an '06 NOBO with a mending broken foot. Getting
> back on trail hopefully by Sept 1. and need to
> lighten my load even though it's time for cold
> weather gear.
>  Currently have Gregory Acadia weighing in at over
> 5lbs. It's a small with 3500 cu. in.
>
>  Considering a large Osprey Atmos 50 weighing in at
> about 3.6 with 32 cu. in. I'm picking up the trail
> in the Whites to Katahdin then SOBO from Hanover to
> evil evil Kent, CT.
>
>  Opinions as to whether this pack will do me? I'm
> not an ultra-lighter by try to keep weight down as
> must as possible, maybe 25lbs with food and water.
>
>  Am I nuts or OK?
>
>  Thanks,
>  boulder

Spatior! Nitor! Nitor! Tempero!