[at-l] Detoured in Dubois

Jim and/or Ginny Owen spiriteagle99 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 16 13:46:06 CDT 2006

It has been a good and eventful ten days from Lander to Dubois.  We've both
enjoyed taking it easy through the most beautiful section of the CDT.

The last couple of days in the desert were beautiful and easy with plentiful
water. The climb over Temple Pass turned out to be much less of a bushwhack
than the guidebook implies - we were on trail almost the entire way,
including switchbacks up to the pass (but a nasty 800 foot drop straight
down the north side). We found Jonathan's shortcut to Big Sandy Lake purely
by accident, but it worked quite nicely.  In the spirit of adventure and
exploration on new territory, we followed the Highline Trail through parts
of the Winds -- since we followed the Fremont Trail last time -- and were
pleasantly surprised that it was almost as beautiful as the Fremont, and
much less populated (which made for disappearing tread in a few places,
making for 'interesting' navigation).  We were well treated at Big Sandy
Lodge, where we stopped to pick up a food drop and stayed for dinner. We met
11 southbound thruhikers (Pi, Ahab, Rusted Root, Disco and POD,  Speedo,
Lovebarge Lisa and Skittles, Mags, Jess and Tradja) plus Sidewinder here in
Dubois on his flip hike. We missed a few southbound hikers because of our
(or their) alternate routes.  Long conversations with the hikers we met were
most welcome after so many weeks of not meeting any other thruhikers, but
did put a dent in our daily mileage.  It was interesting hearing about some
of the options that they chose  including side trips to the Tetons and the
Beartooths, as well as over Continental Glacier and Knapsack Col.  We also
met Al and Craig Learned.  Al hiked the CDT last year and wanted to show off
the Winds to his son.  The Wind River Range was as beautiful as we
remembered - one of the most spectacular parts of the CDT.  My only
disappointment was that we saw little wildlife - there were simply too many
people out there.  We saw a couple of moose, four elk and a beaver in the
Wilderness, then two more moose, some elk and a coyote near Union Pass --
not a lot for ten days, especially after the abundance of wildlife in the
desert.  We ran into some unexpected and excellent trail magic - two men
camped near Union Pass invited us to visit, then to share their steaks, and
then to share their campsite.  People can be grand.

Biggest issue at the moment is the forest fire on the CDT between Union Pass
and Togwottee Pass.  Fortunately we met some southbounders who told us the
trail was closed or we would have walked right into it.  There was no
indication  that we saw near Union Pass on the trail that we shouldn't
continue.  On the other hand, the huge plumes of black smoke, the heavy
smoky haze, and the flames that we could see from Gunsight Pass certainly
told us something was amiss!  It seems that there was a lightning fire
started August 4 that was left to burn.  Because this area is so very dry,
it spread and spread.  Between the 12th and the 14th it grew from 4000 to
6000 acres.  Today it is almost 8000 acres.  Now that it is threatening
homes, they are starting to fight it - but in the meantime, the fire has
jumped the Divide and is affecting two forests and will close the CDT for a
while.  We were able to hike down Union Pass Road, but if the fire continues
to grow, that may change.  The fires looked to be about 5 miles north of the
pass - too close.

We begin the next stage of our adventure tomorrow or the next day.  We are
planning an alternate route through Yellowstone and north to Butte that we
will describe when we finish.  It is something we have been looking forward
to for a long while, but there is a some uncertainty as to its feasability,
so rather than say what we want to do, we'll tell what we actually managed
to do, if we do.  We loved the CDT in southern Montana - but it is fun to be
creative and invent our own route for a while.  We'll keep you posted - but
it may be a while.

Ginny

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/