[at-l] Grayson Hike - Help

HERB DAVIS drherb49 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 17 04:54:26 CDT 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: Davis, Herb
Sent: Wed 8/16/2006 11:14 PM
To: at-l at backcountry.net
Subject: Grayson Highlands Hike - Help

I’m planning a 4 day 3 night trip in October to Grayson Highlands, my
favorite hiking place.  I’ve done the area on the AT from Thomas Knob to
Wise Shelter up the Scales trail and also the AT route to the Scales.  I can
plan the first day from Massey Gap to Wise or Wilson Creek (short) or
Orchard (longer) and the last day; Thomas Knob to Massey Gap via AT or Crest
Trail.  The problem is planning the in between days on a circuit trip that
will take me from Orchard to Iron Mtn Trail Rogers Trail to Thomas Knob or
Pine Mountain to Cliffside to Thomas, etc.  Has anyone hiked the Iron
Mountain and the Pine Mtn or even the Highlands Horse Trail that would give
me a nice circuit trip from (1st night),Massey Gap (AT) to Orchard Shelter
area
(2nd night) Orchard Shelter area AT to Iron Mtn Trail
(3rd night) somewhere Mt. Rogers Trail, etc. to Deep Gap to Thomas Knob
(4th day) Thomas Knob to Massey Gap via Pine Mtn./Crest/AT.  We have hiked
the Smokies.  We could add a 4th night by leaving Thomas Knob and doing the
Cliffside or Pine Mountain trail back to the AT and then to Massey Gap.  We
have done a lot of the AT in the Smokies including Rocky Top, etc. @ 7-10
miles/day.  We will be carrying a tent for non-shelter possibilities.  I’m
unfamiliar with the Iron Mountain, Mt. Rogers and Pine Mountain Trails.
This is long (sorry) but I would appreciate suggestions on getting a 3-4
night trip out of this area.  You can also respond to me personally,
drherb at unc.edu or drherb49 at hotmail.com   Happy Trails.  herb