[at-l] Dogs on the Trail (was Puppy Question ON TOPIC)

Mara Factor m_factor at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 23 07:10:16 CDT 2006

For those contemplating getting dogs which can hike with you on the trail,
there are some aspects to hiking with dogs that many don't consider when
picking out dogs.  For example:  Is your dog small enough that you can carry
it if it is unable to walk on its own?  Or, will your dog, if it has a
herding instinct, wear itself out running back and forth trying to herd a
group of hikers spread out along the trail?

During my AT thruhike, I encountered many hikers with their dogs.

Now, a disclaimer.  I do not have a dog.  But, the dog owners and dogs I've
encountered on the trail have given me reason to write about dogs on the
trail.

If you're familiar with the 80-20 rule (Pareto's Principle), much of that
applies to dogs on the trail.  For example, 80% of dog owners on the trail
think their dogs are well behaved.  20% of dogs on the trail are well
behaved.  (I think the reality is worse than that, though.)  All dog owners
think their dogs want to be on the trail but many dogs were clearly not
enjoying themselves.  Etc.

Other difficult questions dog owners should aske themselves: Can I perform
first aid on my dog or euthanize my dog if necessary?

I eventually added a write-up to my web site about dogs on the trail:

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor/dogs.html

It covers these topics as well as some training issues.  If your dog can't
be trained (or you can't train your dog) to adhere to certain rules of
conduct on the trail, then that dog should probably be left at home while
you hike or you should keep your dog on leash at all times.

I hope you'll take the time to keep these considerations in mind while you
pick out a dog to accompany you on the trail.

Oh yeah - as far as how old a dog has to be to hike...  It'll depend on the
dog.  Talk to your vet.  And if you have a dog that you think will be able
to carry a load, that dog may be able to hike with you long before it should
have an additional load put on its back.  Once again, the vet should know
when it's developed enough to carry extra weight.

Mara
Stitches, AT99

P.S.  The happiest dog I saw on the trail in '99 - Jack Russell terrier.  It
was well-behaved, too - or the owner was responsible enough that we never
knew otherwise.  The most reluctant to hike in '99 (that I saw) - a husky.
Smart dog but not well-behaved.  Never begged or stole food when its owner
was around.  But was horrible when its owner was not around.  Also, it hated
having its pack put on each morning and practically had to be dragged out of
camp each day.  It was not a happy dog.