[at-l] PCT?

danandgailsc at aol.com danandgailsc at aol.com
Fri Aug 25 20:36:42 CDT 2006

Congratulations on your accomplishment!

My wife, Gutsy, is working on her last section of the PCT.  This year's hike was about twice as long as previous years (almost 900 miles).  I posted an update in the AT-L digest the same day your email showed up there.  She thru hiked the AT in 1996.  She wants to do the CDT, too, but with me.

I'm writing primarily to suggest that you consider using the Ontario, CA airport instead of the LA airport.  It's less crowded, and only about 30 miles from the PCT at Cajon Pass (I-15).  I think that's about 350 miles from Campo.  Last year she did the Campo-El Cajon Pass section.

Sign up for the PCT-L if you haven't already.  Consider attending the ADZPCTKO (annual day zero pacific crest trail kick off) in April.  Two weeks from Campo would put you around Palm Springs (I-10) or Big Bear City, within reasonable distance from the Ontario airport (60-70 miles).  Public transportation is available.

Let me see if I can reconstruct what she did when.  This is probably more for my own curiosity and mental exercise than it is useful information for you.

2001     Walker Pass - Sonora Pass (CA desert, High Sierras, Yosemite)
2002     Donner Pass (I-80) - Burney Falls State Park (cental - northern CA)
2003     El Cajon Pass (I-15) - Walker Pass (southern CA)
2004     Burney Falls State Park - Willamette Pass (central OR)
2005     Campo - El Cajon Pass (I-15) (southernmost CA)
2006     Willamette Pass - Manning Park (central OR - Canada), and Sonora Pass to Donner Pass (I-80) (central CA)

Dan

I'm heading out next week to finish the Appalachian Trail. I have the 117 miles from Monson to Katahdin to finish my section-hike of the AT....

Already thinking about what's next, and I'm leaning toward starting the Pacific Crest Trail in 2007. I want to begin at the Mexican border and hike north for a couple of weeks at a time until I finish it...over the next 5-10 years

If anyone on this list has PCT experience, when is the best time to hike the
southern-most section...and what would be a good stopping point for transportation two weeks or so into the hike? I'm planning to fly into San Diego and could fly back out of there or LA or wherever...