[at-l] clothes for AT thru hike?

Tom Mantooth tom.mantooth at comcast.net
Wed Aug 30 22:15:22 CDT 2006

I was wondering if someone who has hiked the AT or any other long trail
could assist me with a question I am  trying to decide concerning the
weight of various clothes on the AT.

This has to do mainly with winter hiking.  I am starting on March 10th.
I was wondering if it is better to purtchased lightweight clothes and
wear more layers that to say use midweight?  I have for example notice
that 2 lightweight under garments some time weight a few Oz less that
one midweight.  I have read in a couple of Hiking books that using
lighter weight clothes and using say 4 leyers instead of 3 is lighter
yet just as warm because of the cusion of air between layers.

Has anyone had any experience with this?  I would appreciate any
pointers that anyone can provide.  Since I shall be 71 years old when I
start I need to keep the old body as comforable as possible but with the
lightest weight that I use.

Thanks,
Tom