[at-l] Wyoming Wildflowers

bluetrail at aol.com bluetrail at aol.com
Thu Aug 31 12:17:11 CDT 2006

The Rocky Mountain Wildflower guide I have I bought in 1972; it's Craighead & Davis, and out of print.    I've been writing in the book margins since 1972 the date (or month) and year and where I saw the flower.  I was still using it, and adding to the margin notes, this summer in the Canadian Rockies.  It's a really nostalgic thing for me to thumb through that book, but I'm guessing a more contemporary book would have more and better color photos.

I looked at some of the amazon.com books online just now, but I can't really tell which would be best for your needs.  My only caveat would be to get one with the maximum number of both color photos and flowers.  One guide on amazon had 105 flowers; another had something like 230.  I always find the little guides kind of frustrating when I can't ID something I just found.

One interesting thing I heard this summer is that some folks are now calling what used to be Indian paintbrush "Wyoming paintbrush" so as to be non-offensive.  Guess it's another argument for using the Latin names, but my two years of high school Latin have long ago left the memory bank.  I find the common names easier to remember and sometimes charming, though less precise.

Thanks,
Joan