[at-l] Oak tree you're in my way...

Jim Bullard jim.bullard at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 07:45:52 CST 2006

Well, to be honest, I didn't split it. I got a whole winter's worth
one time, a permit to cut dead wood on a tract of county forest. It
was all locust, already dry and none bigger than 8" in diameter. That
was rare most was in the 4-6" range. I just cut to length and used it
as full rounds. Burnt hot, long and left a very fine ash (powder
actually) with NO creosote. Wonderful stuff.

I agree beech is great firewood too and one year I bought a truck load
of cherry in 4' lengths. I felt guilty burning that cherry because it
was perfectly straight, clear grained wood. I could stand up a 4
footer and split it from end to end with a single stroke of the axe.
They should have cut it longer and sold it as furniture grade wood.
I'd have saved it for woodworking myself but that was all the money I
had for wood that year so it was burn it or go cold. :(

On 12/4/06, Felix J <athiker at smithville.net> wrote:
> Jim Bullard wrote:
>
> > Nope! The best is locust.
>

> Locust is too hard to split and is 'stringy'. And, not as plentiful as
> oak. It IS a hot heat, though. Beech is a good, long-burning, high-heat
> wood, too. Generally knotty and on the 'hard-to-split' side, though.
>

> > On 12/3/06, Gary Ticknor <garyticknor at starpower.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Red oak makes the best firewood!

Jim Bullard
http://www.jimbullard.org