[at-l] wood

Felix J athiker at smithville.net
Mon Dec 4 12:46:52 CST 2006

Thomas Fort wrote:

>Two things here ...
>
>1) the locust trees we have down here have thorns on them that would
>kill a small deer!  They can grow 3-4 inches long and 1/4 inch thick.
>The entire bark, limbs included, is covered with them.  As you get
>closer to the ground, on the trunk, the needles cluster in groups of
>10-12.  I wouldn't get close to a locust log!

Those are Honeylocusts. Worse than sleepin' with a roll of barbed-wire.
The fence post locust is the Black Locust. Twice as hard as steel (there
is no proof of this being true. It's just something I said.). The
blossoms are very aromatic (three times as aromatic as steel).

>2) Nothing makes better fenceposts than the Bois d'arc, pronounced
>bodock. Just last week I had to knock down a few that were placed in the
>ground 43 yrs ago.  They were as strong as the day cut.  Took a
>bulldozer to wreck them!     I nice yellow color, tho!!

I'm not making a fence post, or anything else, out of something named
'Bois d'arc'.....(to me, it looks like it's pronounce 'Boys Dark')