[at-l] wood

Kent Gardam kent_gardam at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 4 21:45:01 CST 2006

Osage orange!  Now we're talking.  Here in Great Lakes country, there onliest use of an osage orange is for their fruit.  We place one on an aluminum pie plate and set it inside the boat before closing said boat up for the winter.  Keeps away the spiders, or so goes the myth.  In the Spring you open up the boat and voila, you've got the ugliest, moldiest, furriest, unappetizingest looking orange you ever did set your eyes upon.  But generally there aren't any spiders either.  Also scares away little children and the weak of stomach when you bring the pie plate out of the boat.

Felix J <athiker at smithville.net> wrote:  CC Wayah wrote:

>It is also known as mock orange, hedge-apple, horse-apple, hedge ball, bois
>d'arc, bodark (mainly in Oklahoma & Texas), and bow wood. ...

hey!!! That's what we call an 'Osage-Orange'. A miserable tree, it is.
Might be fine along the fenceline at the far back corner of the north
80....but, otherwise....a miserable tree.

--
Felix J. McGillicuddy
ME-->GA '98