[at-l] Hiking Mailpersons

Jim and/or Ginny Owen spiriteagle99 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 6 22:39:58 CST 2006

Fenu wrote:

>There was a fellow in the '70's & '80's who was a retired Postal Clerk:
>Ed Kuni, from PA...
>He hiked GA->VT '72, GA->ME & ME->VT '73 or '74 (can't recall which),
>and 1 or 2 more through-hikes in either the late '70's or late '80's;
>seems like '87 comes to mind. He also was an early CDT Hiker...

Ed Kuni - haven't heard that name in a long time.  Not since my uncle died a
few years ago.  They were drinking partners and had served together in
Europe during WWII .  I met "Ed" when I was barely a teenager - only he was
called Charlie by those who knew him back then.  His first thru was in 1973
and it was interrupted by a hurricane (Agnes).  He had to go home to dig his
house out of the mud - well, unless he wanted a divorce. <G>

He went back to the AT in 1974 and started over.  This time he did the whole
thing and was talked into walking back to VT by ATC.  They wanted him (or at
least 'someone') to become the first to do 2 thruhikes in two years.  Gotta
wonder what he'd think of those who do yoyo's - or hike for 7 or 8
consecutive years now.

He did at least part of the CDT.   He had a large economy size problem in
Wamsutter, WY - don't know if he ever finished it.  If so, there's no record
of it.

Walk softly,
Jim