[at-l] Recommendations for backpacking trip next week

Sloetoe sloetoe at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 7 12:43:32 CST 2006

I would NOT recommend Grayson Highlands for a quickie
unless you're going there prepared for 0*F (or less)
and major wind. It will be no picnic, for sure. I
hiked it Memorial Day'79 in sneaux (having sent my
pants and fiberpile home from Damascus), and ran it
overnight ~TrailDays'02? through so much sleet that
ice was banging off the trees onto cars two days
later. I've seen it go from 20*F to 70*F in 24 hours,
too.

For a great loop, I can recommend the area around
Standing Indian, or a Bartram Trail loop in/out of the
Smokies, or for that matter, anything in the Smokies.
And you'd get some AT miles in, too. (Or even Benton
MacKaye Trail within Georgia, if you did decide to
stay closer to home.)

Post your trip plans!!!
(I'll only drool on my own keyboard.)

'toe

--- Dennis Gass <dennis at katom.com> wrote:

> My 18 year old is finishing his first semester of
> college and wants to decompress for a bit
backpacking with me next week. He mentioned
> Grayson Highlands, but we're both open for
> recommendations in the Southern Appalachians if you
have any favorites you would like to recommend.  We're
hoping for a loop so we're not backtracking half the
time.  20-30 miles total with 4-5 nights on the trail.

> We've both done the AT in Georgia several times
> since we live so close and are looking for something
else.  We haven't done much of the AT
> outside of Georgia,

Spatior! Nitor! Nitor! Tempero!
   Pro Pondera Et Meliora.