[at-l] Boston Globe: "Greylock development may at last berealized"

Mara Factor m_factor at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 12 07:18:07 CST 2006

As the article mentioned, this is at the base of the mountain on the
opposite side from the auto road to the summit so should have no bearing
whatsoever on the hiking trails or anything else going on near the summit.
That said, in an unrelated project, the road up the mountain is under repair
and will be closed for the next two years (
http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/western/mgry.htm ) so all facilities on the
top of the mountain will be closed until 2009 as well.

The good news is that hikers will have the summit to themselves (well, there
may be road crews there, too) but no tourons.  The bad news is the tower
(from which there are great views) and Bascom Lodge (which used to offer
housing) will also be closed.

So according to the article, it seems like the Glen project may be getting
underway just as the road project finishes.  But, like I said, neither
project seems to have any bearing on the other.

Mara
Stitches, AT99
http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor