[at-l] Hummingbird catching up

Linda Benschop athummingbird at dnet.net
Tue Dec 12 11:24:47 CST 2006

I have so much to catch up on.  So many messages I have not had a chance to read yet.

The last couple of months have been pretty tough on me.  When I was having a routine, yearly MRI of my brain, they found that I had been having
multiple TIAs (small strokes).  I had been having more headaches and "word finding" problems but didn't think too much about it.  Jan said he noticed that I was having "blank spells".  The Neurologist put me on some heavy duty new meds.  I actually got worse so they did an EEG and found that I was also having seizures again, after being seizure free since 1999, two years after my brain surgery.

They compared my older MRIs and EEGs and found some pretty drastic changes.    So I am trying to adjust to all of these new meds...blood thinners, seizure meds etc.  I am so exhausted and depressed trying to get used to them.  I actually felt better before the meds.  But the Neuro said that, without the meds, I have a 60% chance of a full blown stroke and only 40% with the meds.

Jan is my rock and always here to support and cheer me up.  I don't know what I would do without him.  Unfortunately, I don't have great genes.  My mother died of an MI at 50, her sister at 46.  My grandmother had a full blown stroke in her 30's which left her paralyzed and in a wheelchair for the remainder of her life.  I am trying to do everything else to be healthy, but cannot change those genes.

I am trying to catch up on my friends here.  Planning on being at the NYE party/camp out, Florida Trail Association, in the Ocala National Forest and hope to see some of you there.

Hummingbird