[at-l] REI and LL Bean

Mara Factor m_factor at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 15 21:16:01 CST 2006

I've had good experiences from REI, too.  Items (hiking poles, goretex
jackets, shorts etc) replaced no questions asked...  Just go pull a
replacement off the rack and leave the old one with customer support please.

LL Bean also has a similarly good reputation though...  I know AT thruhikers
using their shoes that have had Bean replace blown shoes as they've
thruhiked.

Even more amazing was a friend of mine who was wandering around LL Bean
doing some shopping.  One of the salepeople approached her and mentioned
that LL Bean would be happy to replace her shoes.  Huh?  She hadn't thought
about it, but when she had put her shoes on, she put on an ancient pair of
Bean shoes - you know, the kind handed down to her that were 20+ years old
with a few blown seams.  She wasn't even in the shoe department when that
happened.  She tried to refuse but thanks to that observant employee, she
ended up walking out in a brand new pair.

Mara
Stitches, AT99
http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor