[at-l] Wall Martfabric department closing

CC Wayah ccwayah at charter.net
Sun Dec 17 13:51:28 CST 2006

First they took my guns from some stores now they take my sewing machine.
What next?
.
For what it's worth. The fabric department has outfitted several of my
friends to hike economically and clothed my daughter when she needed
maternity clothes.  I know larger people often also need the dollar fabric's
too.
Competition just isn't there for fabric stores to keep prices down.

Borrowed from the Hammock camping list.

" I was in a local Super Center that had just opened, scoping out the fabric
dept. for ripstop as usual (the only reason to GO into a Wal Mart imo, but
that's another thread). The gentleman that was working there told me that
Wal Mart had decided to eliminate the Fabric
departments in all Wal Mart stores.

   I  asked another clerk in a different store the next day, and she
verified what he had said. According to what she had been told by her
management, it would be 3 to 6 months before they were eliminated, but that
was indeed the plan. They were not making enough money, one of
them said.

   Both of them gave me the same advice - if I wanted to complain, I should
call 1-800-WAL-MART and make some noise."

 Would some of you ask in your local stores? If this is true, that is bad
news for many people, I am sure (us hammockers aside). I know I always see
people in the fabric department buying $1 and $2/yard material for what I
can only assume is a way for them to make their own clothes and make ends
meet. Guess they will instead have to buy the clothes made in far east
sweatshops that are hanging on the racks 30 yards down the aisle.