[at-l] A Strange Christmas

RoksnRoots at aol.com RoksnRoots at aol.com
Sun Dec 24 20:08:05 CST 2006

In a message dated 12/24/2006 8:57:54 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jim.bullard at gmail.com writes:
*
*
*
It's a strange Christmas. The temperature is in the high 40s and there
isn't a flake of snow to be seen. That may not seem strange to folks
in more Southern climes but here in Northern NY about 20 miles from
the Quebec border green Christmases are a rarity. Plus there seems to
be a dearth of Christmas Joy. I noticed driving around the last few
days that only about 1 in 5 homes have holiday lights up, perhaps as
many as 1 in 4 if you count non-lighted displays and people I meet
don't seem to have that infectious happiness I associate with the
season in the past.
*
*
*

         We've had 80's down here for two weeks and it is abnormal. It
normally gets chilly here in mid December but this year it never did. It is almost
like April (Florida April). The culprit is the El Nino-caused shift in the
Pacific Jet Stream. Alaska had a record low of -1 at Cold Bay, so the frigid air
is there. It is only a matter of the jet allowing it to descend. Today we had
our air conditioner on. Mostly for humidity.

       Funny, I noticed the same thing down here. Less Christmas lights etc.

         We've had more clouds than normal for dry season, but scant rain.
Even though Nino winters are supposed to give Florida cool weather and above
normal rains. Could be a special Global warming Nino.

*