[at-l] People, Nature and "Development"

Grammar Coach grammarcoach1 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 29 18:50:57 CST 2006

I've long felt that humans are not part of nature, at least not in the sense that other species are.  Sometimes I think differently when I observe that most humans spell like animals and use the apostrophe the way an ape swings a bone, but generally:

1.  Humans have no fixed ecological niche, unlike animals.  Animals carve out a niche, defend and preserve it, but generally do not disturb other animals' niches.  Humans are niche takers and destroyers, resulting in the extincition of other species.

2.  Humans do not operate by habit.   Natural species (animals) operate the same way generation after generation, based on instinct.  They may adapt somewhat to changes in their environment, but sparrows will always build nests of twigs and beavers will always build dams of logs, until a genetic mutation or series of them creates a new species with new habits.  Humans, by contrast, are constantly changing their behaviours and habitats, largely through unending advances in technology.  Animals have no such open-ended tool.  We have gone from cave dwellers to tool builders to farmers to harnessing electrical power to space flight to tinkering with genetic codes.

3.  Humans are capable of destroying their own species in its entirety, not to mention taking other species with them.  Animals can fight and kill each other, usually in small numbers, but not wipe themselves out entirely.

Clark Wright <icw at wardanddavis.com> wrote: I think those who know me will attest that I have done a lot to protect
various natural areas, passionately supported many a land trust, etc.
However, it has been a while since I have posted anything on this list re
one of my major “pet peeves” re how society has come to the conclusion that
all of mankind is not natural.  One of my favorite “philosophical” questions
to throw out while speaking or writing at various environmental law
seminars, forums, etc. is this:  “Describe in defensible, logical terms, the
difference between a beaver dam and Hoover Dam.”  The more you think about
that one (hopefully with a curious, open mind!) the more interesting things
can get – at least in my head, that is the case!  Similarly, ask and try to
answer in logical, defensible and absolute terms “What is pollution?”  :-)
Again, the point here is not to defend human-caused development activities
or damage to ecosystems previously not impacted (or rather less impacted) by
people, but rather to try and reframe the debate in what I believe is a more
ecologically and logically sound way – namely, that people are just as much
a part of the natural ecosystems of the world and universe as any other
creature.  We are not inherently “unnatural,” and what we build and do is
just as natural from a logical point of view as that done by any other
creature.  To me, it is important not to case important environmental issues
as “us versus them,” or “the natural order” versus “unnatural, polluting
humans.”  Instead, let us all recognize our common origins, and our
God-given responsibility to be good stewards, and let us recognize the fact
that we now know much more about how our actions can affect other parts of
the (same!) natural systems that we are a part of, and let us recognize that
we need to make conscious value choices re the things that are important to
us – but let us do all that without excising our own natural role in the
order of things.  I think if we do so, we can avoid some unconscious and
conscious guilt trips, hurtful divisions among ourselves, and possibly
accomplish more good and less infighting.  In the end, one thing is for sure
– we are all here together in this amazing web of interrelated ecological
systems we call Earth and – even larger – the universe in which the Earth
(and us!) are just an infinitesimal speck . . .

I guess in a way I am advocating for humility, coming home, and coming
together . . . passion for our particular goals is a good thing – nay, a
critical thing, but passion often is wasted and blunted where directed or
caused by conscious and unconscious feelings that you and I are not part of
the natural order of things.  We are indeed part of the natural order of
things, and in a basic sense, all we do is indeed natural; the better way to
put the challenge is that we are uniquely endowed with the ability to learn
more and more about the potential consequences of our actions, and with that
knowledge (of the fruit of the tree of good and evil, to put it in Biblical
terms) comes a huge dose of responsibility – responsibility, but not guilt
for naturally wanting to build things, do things, and achieve things.  I
long for a day where we can focus intensely on just what it is that we value
and want to protect, preserve and pass on to our children, while still
celebrating our own natural abilities to build, achieve and develop.  Much
to think about for the New Year! :-)

Thru-Thinker

I. Clark Wright, Jr.

Ward and Davis, LLP