[at-l] Hiker Hunger

Felix J athiker at smithville.net
Wed Jul 12 23:27:36 CDT 2006

Carol Donaldson wrote:

>Have any of you long distance hikers found a way to satiate your hunger while on the Trail (aside from AYCE restaurants)?
>
>What foods worked best?  What was your body craving, besides calories?
>Is it true that you could eat a meal and be hungry 2 hours later?

2 hours!?!  I've literally eaten a meal and walked across the parking
lot to another restaurant and eaten a meal. I've ordered breakfast while
we waited for the lunch menu. (DWG and N. Adams respectively)  And, your
body will crave, at some point, almost everything. The two things that I
remember HAVING to have were milk and orange juice. My body knew it
needed calcium and vitamin C and told me so.  I found that those Betty
Crocker potato meals were pretty filling as far as 'on-the-trail' foods
go. I don't really like Liptons or ramens.  I wonder what Shane would
have to say about this.