[at-l] Hiker Hunger WAS An Inconvenient Truth / Extinction II

Arthur Gaudet rockdancer97 at comcast.net
Thu Jul 13 09:04:02 CDT 2006

You've reminded me of two food related things while I was northbounding in 1997.

Peaches & cream oatmeal - While in the Shenandoahs I attempted to stealth camp
in the hope of being away from the crowds, not so much because of the cost. I
set up, cooked, ate and then went to bed once it was dark. Shortly after a bear
noticed my food bag hanging just within his reach. I heard the branch snap, the
running, and didn't even get up to check it out - I knew what had happened. I
rolled over & resolved to pick up any mess in the morning. About 30 mins. later
I was rousted by the local authorities and told to pack up and move to a
legitimate camping area. I received a ticket for $50 (which I paid later on).
Next morning I found the remains of my food bag, cleaned things up and started
walking, on an empty stomach. I soon caught up with some other nobo's who I knew
and explained I wouldn't be staying on their schedule since I now had to go to
town. To my surprise, and without anything being spoken, these 4 hikers took off
their packs and started to hand me food items. Now granted they kept the best
things for themselves, but I was deeply impressed by their generosity, still am
now 9 years later! I received enough to keep me on the trail to the next town
stop, fortified by what now seems like 500 packets of P&C oatmeal. I think I was
eating it for breakfast & lunch for several days in a row. I haven't had it
since.

Wild lettuce - When talking with a local, somewhere N of Hot Springs I was
informed about wild lettuce, how to identify it, and given instructions about
being careful about contaminated water nearby. I started to notice it in many
places along the trail, and ate it when I found it. I began a strategy of
collecting enough for supper when I found a good patch, and even had a plan for
buying some salad dressing when I got to town. But my body had a different plan
than the one my mind had formed - I wasn't able to carry it and not eat it!
Every day, for perhaps 2 weeks (until the lettuce was in flower) I browsed along
the trail eating these fresh greens. My body clearly identified a solution to
some deficiency & let me know what to do. Later on the trail I ate a lot of
salads in town, too.

RockDancer