[at-l] Gear Lists

Carol Donaldson carol1944 at brmemc.net
Sat Jul 15 13:34:12 CDT 2006

http://www.trailquest.net/BR2002AThike.html

Realize that this is from a 'gram-weenie' website, but you can see the huge difference in weights between what the mainline manufacturers sell (based on durability and fear of lawsuits if something breaks and someone gets injured) versus 'make your own' or find a cottage industry which makes what you want and their lighter (and nearly or even more durable as the great manufacturers) versions of the same or similar gear.

http://www.backpacking.net/gearlist.html
This is from a middle of the weight website.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/gearchecklists.html
cut and paste

http://www.trailplace.com/portal/thread.php?id=72 - essential gear
http://www.trailplace.com/portal/thread.php?id=73 - gear for Thru Hiking
Wingfoots input.  -- which I think now is "right on" the money.

http://www.southeasternoutdoors.com/outdoors/backpacking/backpacking-gear-list.html  cut and paste

http://www.prolitegear.com/backpacking_gear.html
prolite's gear list

http://www.cyberturf.com/tornado/
check the links here -- they're light, not always ultralight.

http://www.thebackpackersguide.com/3season.htm
backpacker's guide gear list

http://onestep4me.tripod.com/gear.htm
http://onestep4me.tripod.com/index.htm
hmm, who is this guy?  Anyone claim to be Onestep?

http://www.hikerscorner.com/articles/gearlist.html
another light (not ultra) website

One other item of note:  When someone says "yes, it's heavy, BUT" do a double take.  You can lighten up so much in many areas that you actually CAN have a piece of gear that's not actually "lightweight" -- HOWEVER, do NOT use the phrase "yes, it's heavy BUT" when describing your choice of gear.   If YOU are satisfied (at the moment) then no excuses.  Go backpacking for a week with a resupply at the other end and hike back to your starting point.  If YOU are happy, then don't use that "BUT" word.  If you're not happy, start examining each item in your pack.  Sometimes it's an ounce deducted, sometimes it's a couple pounds (as in you really don't need a backpack that's over 4000 cis and weighs more than 4 pounds when hiking the AT).   For instance the ULA P2 is no longer made, but weighed in at 47 oz aka just under 3 lbs) and holds 4900 cubic inches for a size Large.  GADS that's HUGE.

One other MAJOR item of note:  Don't be conned into a Large pack just because you're a "manly man" when your "nape to hip" size measures for a MEDIUM.  I've seen so many Men/Guys opt for a Large pack because they wear "large" clothing and be totally miserable hiking -- because they measure for a MEDIUM when it comes to backpacks.  Even the women/ladies are not immune to this error.  Don't let it affect your manliness, for goodness sakes.  Buying the gear that fits is more important than posturing when you're backpacking.  Besides, unless you tell anyone, who's to know but you?

Remember, the AT is a series of 2 to 10 day hikes between resupply points.  It's not as if you have to carry all your food (or gear) with you at all times.

Some people have two sleeping bags.  Some just use one and do fine.  You'll probably be able to use lighter weight boots/hiking shoes if you lighten the load on your back.  Remember: a pound on the foot is worth five on the back.  The lighter the shoe the easier on your knees.

Here's a book to buy and read: "We're off to see the Wilderness, the Wonderful Wilderness of Awes" by M.E. (Postcard) Hughes.  It's about his 2004 Thru Hike and it is VERY good.  He even mentions Model T (and that other bbbbb guy)(those who know, you can muffle your laughter now) in the book.  And he ran into some backpacker named "Baltimore Jack" -- anyone know him?  (LOL) He's got information on gear that worked for him and may work for others.  It's a very good read and I recommend it.

Now, I have to go listen to NASCAR Bush race in some place called New Hampshire,
Coosa
GA2ME07