[at-l] Lighten pack.

Doug Mathews mathews at uga.edu
Sun Jul 16 15:08:52 CDT 2006

Tom,
I had not hiked much at all when I did my through hike in 2002 and I
started with everything you could think of.....special cooking
utensils, camp clothes, and a lot of heavy weight items more suited
for "base" camping.

I sent home all the camp clothes ,  extra utensils. I bought a new
pack in Hot Springs (replaced an REI 7lb pack w/a Mountainsmith 3+lb
).   Also bought an MSR MicroZoid tent replacing my Clip
Flashlight.  I do not like the Zoid so if anyone wants to buy it, let
me know.  I need to replace it with a larger and no more weight
one.  Any suggestions?  I sent my 20 degree 3lb sleeping bag home
after it warmed up and kept my sleeping bag liner.  I did add an
emergency bivy (8oz?) just in case.  I also quit carrying my 3 liter
water bag because of its weight and used 2 22oz  GatorAde
bottles.  Sent my water filter home(16oz) and used Aqua Mira
(2oz?).  Got  rid of my Whiserplite stove because of the weight and
used an Etowah Outfitters alcohol stove (I've since switched to
Gravity Gear Stove from Tin-man which is lighter and works
better.  Etowah has a version 2 out but it is not as light as
Tin-Man's).  I did carry my 35mm SLR camera and to lighten that load,
I got rid of the camera strap and replaced it with a piece ofrope,
which I still use.
I started carrying way too much food and it did not take me long to
learn to carry just the right amount, plus a dab!