[at-l] Stoves.

Mara Factor m_factor at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 17 06:22:15 CDT 2006

Hi Tom,

I didn't use the Tinman stove on my AT hike - it didn't exist yet.

I do know two hikers - one last year, one the year before (neither of whom
are on the list) - who each used a single tinman stove for their entire AT
thruhikes.

I used a soda can stove on the PCT at elevations up to maybe 10,000'+/- and
I've used them in temperatures in the teens.  No problems in either case -
just plan on carrying a bit extra fuel.

All that said, I also prefer Esbit when it's possible to get or manage fuel
access.  But, for all practical purposes, soda can stoves are multi-fuel
stoves, as pointed out earlier, just turn them over to make a good stand for
Esbit tablets.  ESbit tablets also work well at elevation and in cold
weather.

One thing...  I use a hardware cloth (wire mesh) pot stand.  When I use
Esibit tablets, I need to rig it to ensure the pot sits high enough off the
tablet to ensure proper burning.  This is almost always higher than the
height necessary for the alcohol stove.

Just another set of data,

Mara
Stitches, AT99