[at-l] ATC folks airlifted out of Lebanon

Carol Donaldson carol1944 at brmemc.net
Thu Jul 20 06:38:59 CDT 2006

AARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHH.

Could we have a few "THANK GOODNESS they didn't end up killed by a wayward bomb or bullet" before the AT-L vultures put on their bibs and grab their eating utensils?  Please.

Did it not occur to anyone except me that the "Lebanon Mountain Club" or their version of the "Trail Conservancy" paid for David Field, Dave Starzell and Marianne Skeen to come and advise them?  They didn't just fly over there and show up uninvited.  And if invited, the host Country surely provided their air fare, lodging and meals.

C'mon guys, maybe some of you haven't been out for a hike in a while, but that's no reason to look for ulterior motives.

(I'm sitting here wondering if Marianne had to wear a Burhka or if she was allowed to wear slacks/hiking pants.  And all those "left hand, right hand" rules can be unnerving, so I wonder if Lebanon observes them.  And recall that Danny Thomas was a Christian from Lebanon!)

So let's savor the fact that OUR FRIENDS IN THE HIKING COMMUNITY are out of harms way and someone contact ATC to get the facts before anyone starts with the negative remarks!

I am fairly sure that all three have the finances to pay their own way, if needed, anyway.  And even if not, there's no reason to dis them for offering to help a Middle Eastern Nation develop a Trail system.

Thank you,
Auntie Coosa

"What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor: this is the whole Torah.  The rest is commentary." -- Rabbi Hillel
"If I am not for myself, then who will be for me?  And if I am only for myself, then what am I?  And if not now, when?" -- Rabbi Hillel