[at-l] Resting in Rawlins

Jim and/or Ginny Owen spiriteagle99 at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 29 21:08:10 CDT 2006

We're here for a couple of days, waiting for everything to open up again
Monday morning.  Seems Rawlins still closes down for the weekend.  Given
that it's in the mid-nineties today, that isn't a problem - though the Jade
Motel isn't exactly the Ritz and we still haven't found anyplace to get
breakfast beside the gas station.  Still the computer gaming center rents
out internet computers too, so at least we have some access since the
library isn't open on the weekend.

The last eight days have been good ones.  The Mt. Zirkel Wilderness is
beautiful, especially right now with the flowers in full bloom.  I was
surprised to still see so much snow on and near the trail.  Makes for nice
wildflower displays and very hungry mosquitos.  We had planned a longer
route through the Wilderness - Jim Wolf's guidebook challenge of walking the
Divide north of Mt. Zirkel really appealed - but thunderstorms prevented
that option.  Second choice was to hike Trail Creek Trail north - turns out
that that one isn't marked/cairned any longer - and while you can't get
really lost following the creek north, bushwhacking from meadow to meadow
didn't really appeal, plus what happens when we run out of creek?  Rather
than bushwhack the ten miles to the border, we very reluctantly followed the
ATV trail that is the offiicial CDT.  We did enjoy the day and a half that
we spent in the Wilderness area except for the several miles of burned
forest near Seedhouse.  We followed the old route past Gold Lake, so had
several extra miles along the Divide - gorgeous!  We got very used to
following cairns across meadows - and fixing them too.

Wyoming greeted us with rain.  The Divide walking in the Medicine Bow is
beautiful, but we probably didn't appreciate Bridger Peak as much as we
would have without the thunderstorms that surrounded us.  They've built
brand new trail up past the peak, so we had no choice about being high that
afternoon, we just didn't linger.  The next several miles along the road
were interesting as we were pelted by three separate storms.  The next day
we had the mother of all thunderstorms, but it didn't hit until after we had
gone to bed, so we were well off the ridge for that one.  Some of the
lightning bolts were blinding, and we were very happy to be protected from
the downpour.

Then we dropped into the desert and the rain went away.  There is a real
beauty to the first few miles in the Great Basin, especially before you get
on the BLM roads.  We saw an incredible amount of wildlife - 84 antelope the
first afternoon, plus eagles, hawks, magpies, snakes, a horny toad and a big
blue lizard.  The next day we saw 92 antelope, 6 mule deer and three elk.
We had fun.

For southbound hikers, the water situation in the desert section before
entering the Medicine Bow is feasible, but not great.  We got water at Hartt
Creek, though had to search for a place deep enough to actually get the
water (besides the beaver ponds down below).  Jim Creek wasn't usable.
Truckdriver Creek had a puddle.  The other nearby creeks were dry.  N. Fork
of Savery Creek was an oasis - bath and water for the night, all in one.
The piped spring on the official route, mile 10 or so of Section 2 on the
BLM road, was really good, better than expected from the guidebook
description. Muddy Creek lived up to it's name, especially once we got north
of the Wildlife Refuge.  Cows make the water unusable except right at the
beginning.  Watch out for the big black bull guarding the bridge, he really
doesn't like hikers, especially after chasing us, and his herd, for almost a
mile.  The spring two miles south of Bridger Pass had a trickle of water
coming from the pipe that was usable, but tasted pretty bad.  I don't know
whether its the algae or the alkali, but Kool-Aid is a good idea to make it
drinkable.  Still, we drank it for the next 26 miles and didn't get sick, so
it's usable.  There is water in most of the stock pond reservoirs, but I
wouldn't drink it unless I was really desperate.  Five Mile Spring was dry.
We saw a stock tank near Bridger Pass that might have been solar powered -
it had a white thing on top, but it was too far to see anything but the fact
that it had cows nearby.

We haven't seen a good water report from any NOBO's lately and the BLM site
hasn't been updated.  June was very dry; July less so - so what can we
expect in the next 130 miles?  Especially, what about the spring 11 miles
north of town?  Where is the solar well north of Bull Spring these days?
How's the piped spring near Crooks Creek?  Last time, most of the listed
water sources had water - how is it this year?  Since the southbounders will
be reaching the desert soon, I'm sure we're not alone in wanting some
current information.  I'm hoping we'll meet some of the early southbounders
sometime in the next couple of weeks.  We've been told by several people
lately that it's fairly obvious that we're thruhikers - must be the smell?
So if you see two dirty hikers, heading across the desert - stop and say hi.
  We haven't seen another long distance hiker in a long time, we'd enjoy the
chance to exchange stories.

Walk softly,

Ginny and JIm

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/