[at-l] Trip reports

Arthur Gaudet rockdancer97 at comcast.net
Sun Jul 30 20:28:36 CDT 2006

I've now done two overnight hikes in the last two weeks! This is part of a hike
series I've planned to find out how my back will do under this kind of stress,
and to discover what are the limits for duration, pack weight and daily miles.

2 weeks ago - I went into a remote part of the Pemi Wilderness, a "back & forth"
hike starting at the Sawyer River Road and going to Norcross Pond. The round
trip was about 19 miles including a side trip to bag Vose Spur along the way. I
discovered I've also forgot how to back for a backpack trip and noticed too late
that I forgot to bring hiking poles, enough warm clothes or enough food! The
weather alternated between steamy hot & cold rain, remembered what it's like to
walk with boots filled with water.

Last week - I got tempted to simulate a hike on the AT with a hike on the AT.
This included placing my car at the endpoint and then hitching to the start. The
section was from Hanover, NH to the Dorchester - Lyme Road, about 22 miles.
After two rides (god, it was strange holding out my thumb once again.) I arrived
at the VT side of the CT River and walked into town, just like in '97. I took a
right at the traffic lights walked a little ways and noticed Baltimore Jack
reading the newspapers at a sidewalk table. We dove right into conversation,
almost as if there wasn't a 2-year break of time since I last saw him. Headed to
Ben & Jerry's and limited myself to a small size one, then headed towards Velvet
Rocks. At the junction I noticed a couple of young hikers working on the Hanover
Challenge . they caught up and passed me later that day. Slept in the woods past
the Etna Road, great night with lots of dry lightning happening. Next day the
hikes up Moose Mountain & Holt's Ledge reminded me of how much better shape I
was in on the previous trip. But I didn't fade too badly, just kept plugging
away and eventually reached the ledge lookouts - just in time for the skies to
open up. The remaining 3 miles were a slog, but not as cold as the previous
week.

All in all I'd say there's a fair chance that these hikes will get me somewhere.
It's going to be a big change for me to pack light, esp. for longer hikes. I've
carried about 28 lbs. For both of these hikes and anticipate getting my base
weight down as I refine my gear. Physically each hike has had an impact but the
symptoms have lasted for only 1 or 2 days after. I'll be watching to see if
these symptoms are reduced with the rest of these hikes. I'll keep you guys
posted.

--RockDancer