[at-l] Desert/arid hiking

bluetrail at aol.com bluetrail at aol.com
Fri Nov 3 10:39:30 CST 2006

A friend told me to take a lightweight long sleeve cotton shirt on my first trip to southern Utah and northern Arizona, and I ignored him.  Boy, was I sorry!  That sun, even with sunscreen, really did a number on me.  You won't get wet (sweat evaporates instantly), but a long-sleeved white or pale blue cotton shirt really helps diminish the sun damage on your arms, the back of your neck, etc.

Another helpful hint:  buy some hydrating saline nasal spray (less than $3 at Wally World) and use it regularly.  My nose is used to Florida humidity; without the hydrating spray I'd have been having nose bleeds in the second day.

Best southwestern cusine in southern Utah:  Cafe Diablo in Torre, Utah.  (YMMV, but you won't be disappointed)
http://www.cafediablo.net/

Joan