[at-l] walking or hiking

Carla & Dave Hicks daveh at psknet.com
Fri Nov 3 16:54:17 CST 2006

I would guess the hiking, backpacking (in its various forms), folk walking,
mall walking, the folk doing laps (heel and toe as well as barely moving) at
the park and gym, etc are all subsets of recreational walking -- which is a
subset itself of the world of walking.  And as often the case, the beauty, the
attraction, the difference is in the eye of the beholder.

IMHO, the distinction is lost on me -- albeit I do some but not all.

OTOH, your question brought to mind an obersavation of a friend of mine from
across the pond, "Most of the people in the world walk, or bicycle, to go
somewhere.  You Yanks go somewhere to walk, or bicycle."

Chainsaw

BTW -- At home, I use a treadmill and at the gym I use an elliptical trainer.
Now is that walking?