[at-l] Do you love mountains?

Gary Roberts GRoberts at npr.org
Wed Nov 8 12:45:52 CST 2006

You can also help out here: www.wvhighlands.org of which, I am a proud
supporting member.

-----Original Message-----
From: at-l-bounces at backcountry.net [mailto:at-l-bounces at backcountry.net]
On Behalf Of Linda Patton
Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2006 1:20 PM
To: AT-L listserv
Subject: [at-l] Do you love mountains?

Below is an excerpt from a blog I read, called "Fragments from Floyd"
(http://64.106.159.99/).  Watch the video.  I had no idea.
	~~ eArThworm

"A bad dream. Mountaintop Removal is a bad dream that is a new reality
every
day for someone, for some family, for some community somewhere in West
Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee or Virginia. And unless we force ourselves
look at it in all its ugliness, unless we come to see our own complicity
by
our very silence and by our consumption without regard for the costs,
there
will be no end to it.

Some of you who are from or have a heart for the southern Appalachian
mountains are surely aware of the costs of "cheap coal". Most of you who
read
this here are genuinely uninformed, and there's a reason for that. Until

recently, the people most affected have not had sufficient voice to lift
this
issue above and against the powerful forces that want it invisible in
the
national media; that want vast stretches of remote, sparcely-settled,
pristine
watershed, forested plant and animal habitat and the physical context of

mountain people's lives to be seen as nothing but "overburden". There
has been
an political policy of silence at the highest levels.

This must stop. We must be a part of the end of mountaintop removal for
coal
extraction.

Please take a few minutes and watch this short video
(http://ilovemountains.org/multimedia) from ilovemountains.org that just

begins to tell the story. Do you love mountains? Then take 8 minutes to
learn
what's at stake."