[at-l] Summit of Mt. Guyot

Karen Somers kborski at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 22 14:50:32 CST 2006

Has anyone on this list ever been to the summit of Mt.
Guyot?

I refer to the Mt. Guyot in the Great Smoky Mountain
National Park, adjacent to the AT.  The AT does NOT go
over the actual summit, only skirts around it.  It is
the second highest peak in the park.

Apparently, there used to be an old trail up to the
actual summit.  I have looked for it several times.
In '98 I think I saw it, but did not attempt to go up
due to some gnarly weather.  In '99, I attempted to
bushwhack on what I thought was that old trail, but it
quickly turned into a wall of brush and I didn't have
time to pursue it.

This summer, I was up there again on my way through
the Smokies.  For a month, I planned and schemed about
reaching Guyot's summit.  But, when I finally reached
the mountainside, despite a lot of searching and sunny
day, I could find no sign of the old trail.  My
attempts at bushwhacking off trail were an outright
failure.

I plan to get back there this winter with my GPS to
try again.

Any help I could get from someone who has been there
would help.  I can't find any info in my various
hiking guidebooks or online.

BTW, Earl Shaffer told me in '98 that he had been up
there ages ago, but he remembered that there was a
trail to the top.

Nocona