[at-l] Weary's Achillies Re: sobo hike

Sloetoe sloetoe at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 23 12:16:27 CST 2006

Can you control your forefoot at all?
Can you do a toe-raise?
Can you rotate your foot, as if to draw the letters of
the alphabet with your big toe?
Can you feel lumps along the length of your Achillies
from your heel to 3" above your ankle?

I suspect you have a major rip in your Achillies (from
your description of the pain), but the massive
swelling indicates (hopefully!?!) something more
"sprainish" as your doctor indicated. As Achillies
injuries take ferociously much time/attention to heal
well, I hope it IS a sprain. If you can feel lumps
along your achillies that are not proximately similar
to any on the other leg, that *may* indicate areas
where the tendonal fibers have separated (think
'strands of rope') and are impeding movement (or
denying movement altogether).

Very best wishes that this is your only trevail on
this Thanksgiving.