[at-l] at-l Digest, Vol 37, Issue 24

danandgailsc at aol.com danandgailsc at aol.com
Sun Nov 26 18:56:29 CST 2006

I wanted to comment on a couple of entries.  First, Dan and I just finished hiking the Foothills Trails during Thanksgiving.  We experienced the interesting temperature pattern Weathercarrot mentioned, having almost froze in shorts at Laurel Valley where the temps were in the 30's just miles from where we camped where the weather was much warmer.  At 178, the next to the last day of our trek, we met Sunset and Drew a AT thru hiker from the 80's.  We heard that Sly and Nighwalker were on the trail, but Frank never saw them and sad to say, we never did, either.  I also never saw Sly at ALDHA, and since then I've decided that sightings of Sly are like Elvis sightings.  One never knows....  The second comment was on the book, The Last Child in the Woods.  I presented at an early childhood conference (SCAEYC) last year on the young child and the importance of the outdoors in their development and used that book for one of my references.  It's definitely a must read.  From the favorable comments I believe my points were well taken.  Back to our backpack:  the weather was gorgeous and it was super to spend 4 1/2 days in the glorious outdoors.  We're trying out some gear to see what we want to carry when we start our section hike of the CDT (Yes,  Dan in a moment of weakness has agreed to hike the CDT with me.)  Triple Crown, here we come!   Gail or Gutsy