[at-l] Winter bags/claustrophobia

Amy Skowronek amy at forinash.net
Tue Nov 28 21:21:43 CST 2006

I don't get claustrophobic, but I dislike the confinement.  I need
wiggle room.  I am a hammocker and also slightly insane, so I carry
two down quilts.  In cool weather, one goes under the hammock, one
goes over me inside the hammock.  In cold weather, I move to the
ground.  Then they both go over me.  Plus my tyvek-type weather
shield that normally goes around the outside of the hammock goes over
the two quilts when I'm on the ground.  The combination keeps me
toasty down to the teens (so far) and gives me room to move.  I do
have to wear a good hat or two since I don't have a mummy hood.

I sleep on a thermarest inside the hammock, and use a Z-rest sitpad
in camp.  They both go under me if I'm in a shelter or on the ground.

-amy in md