[at-l] [TR] Questions about sill replacement on a TR3

Kent Gardam kent_gardam at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 30 07:29:04 CST 2006

And to make the following post hiking relevant:  I once owned a Triumph TR4A.  That car taught me more about automotive repair than any other I have ever owned because I don't think I ever drove it more than 75 miles without something breaking!  Thus, I hiked a lot while I owned it.

  But it was fun to tool around in a car with the top down and a tonneau cover snapped up on the passenger side.

  Kent Gardam

Doug Mathews <mathews at uga.edu> wrote:
  Guys and gals,

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing! When I was in the auto
collision curriculum at our VoTech school, we had a 3m rep come and
talk about panel adhesives, and if this ol brain remembers, I posted
something about that to the list. Panel adhesives are used and
preferred today by a lot of manufactures and insurance companies as
the body coatings are not removed by welding and rust is
prevented. From what I remember, these adhesives can be used to
attach body panels where there is no chance of "peeling" in the event
of a collision. Those areas that may be subjected to "peeling" are
still supposed to be welded as they were at the time of
manufacture. As a note to the strength of these adhesives, The Panoz
vehicles (manufactured just north of me) have and aluminium box
frame that is assembled with adhesive, although they do run 1 bolt
/nut through each joint point as a safety/fail soft point. We were
told that these adhesives were used on aircraft and had been for
years. So I assume its strong and able to take extreme temperature swings.

Would I use it to attach body parts on a TR, especially the older
ones? Not on those parts that I felt were helping with structural rigidity.

Here is a link to a 3M page that can get you started on your own research.

http://tinyurl.com/yckv62

Doug