[at-l] Winter Backpacking

Matt Fuller matt81601 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 1 21:06:42 CDT 2006

Hi Russ,

I've done several hundred winter miles with a gore-tex marmot (20-degree?)
down bag. Don't remember the model, but the Gore-tex allowed me to sleep
under a tarp--even around the Buffalo Pass area (CO)--warmly on those
persistent -2x nights.

- a good sleeping pad is worth its weight in gold; my z-rest was okay, but a
therma-rest would've been better.
- the only way to make water, in my experience, is with a fire. Unless it's
a weekend trip, carrying enough fuel would be too burdensome.
-If you're through-hiking in winter where the snow is sporadic, snowshoes
are easiest to carry. Otherwise, if you're in a place like Maine, x-country
skis would seem better because travel isn't as laborious (don't take it from
me though, I've only used snowshoes.)
- winter food ideas: cheese, cookie dough (raw), pepperoni, cooked
meat/sliced ham sandwiches
- maybe leave the water filter at home if planning to only melt snow.

JMHO,

Matt

MATTHEW FULLER