[at-l] eh? pads? eh?

Sloetoe sloetoe at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 4 08:49:57 CDT 2006

--- Raphael Bustin <rafeb at speakeasy.net> wrote:
> At 06:20 AM 10/2/2006 -0700, Toe wrote:
> > > Standard Time, rafeb at speakeasy.net writes:
> > > Frameless ultralight packs prolly won't work for
> me, since I won't  be carrying a Z-rest or anything
> like it.
> >
> >### You're making a connection here which is not
> >obvious, and may in fact be in error. To wit: what
> >does a frameless pack have to do with carrying a
> >Z-Rest?
>
> Because the pad *is* the frame -- such as it is.
> If the pack has a hip belt, the only way that can
> be effective is if there's rigidity between the hip
> belt and the rest of the pack.

### Close, but not quite. With a frameless, your
entire *load* "*is*" your suspension, not just your
pad -- which means *how* you pack and *what* you pack
are integral parts to the equation, as is the pack
itself. (Re Packs: there are many cooool looking
frameless out there, but I would never buy/wear one
without significant load control/compression, as the
pack would turn into a sagging, swaying beast. Look at
the Equinox packs my sons wear (pics 7 and 13) and you
can see that these are solid, tight, ready to do
whatever manuevers you're needing to do.
But getting back to the question, you didn't explain
what your idea is as to why a ZRest would matter,
versus any other type of pad. FWIW, you like a
ThermaRest, right? Lots of people use a ThermaRest in
a frameless pack. My kids and I use the "eggcrate"
shaped Mt. Washington, which you seemed to say would
not work with a frameless, which my kids and I carry
(and carry and carry).

So: What is the problem with pads and frameless packs
you seek to solve? (Or deem unsolvable)?

Spatior! Nitor! Nitor! Tempero!
   Pro Pondera Et Meliora.