[at-l] eh? pads? eh?

Sloetoe sloetoe at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 4 13:29:46 CDT 2006

--- Raphael Bustin <rafeb at speakeasy.net> wrote:
 At 06:49 AM 10/4/2006 -0700, Toe wrote:
> >So: What is the problem with pads and frameless
> > packs you seek to solve? (Or deem unsolvable)?
> >
> Exactly as you described it, Toe.  Not unsolveable
> by any means -- just a separate challenge, which
> I prefer to defer.

### Well, as far as deferral goes, that's what you
(generic "you") should do anyway -- pick that pack
that suits your load, thusly picking your pack *last*.

### As far as "what I described", I am confusled. I
described frameless packs that cinch their loads well
and produce a wonderful "frame" (and regardless of
pad), and I described other frameless that don't cinch
their load, that I would never personally buy, wear,
or recommend.

I give up.
But no matter what mysteries you might wish to
introduce, there is absolutely no "challenge" to
taking an Equinox Katahdin (etc), cinching the load
into a nice tube, and going for a stroll. Of *that*
there is no question.

> FWIW, I'm seriously hoping the GG foam pad
> works out.  I'm counting on that 10 oz. of weight
> savings.  If not, 2nd choice is Thermarest Prolite
> shortie.
### And choice of pad is immaterial.

> Once I get the new routine down (and maybe
> lighten up a few pounds more) I'll seriously
> consider a G4/G5 or similar.
### A beautiful pack, but not one that cinches the
load. (Ohhhh geeee, it might take $2.00 worth of
webbing and $4.00 worth of buckles to sew some on by
our selves..... a GREAT option for those willing.)

sewtoe

Spatior! Nitor! Nitor! Tempero!
   Pro Pondera Et Meliora.