[at-l] Any body want to talk thru hiking?

Mara Factor m_factor at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 4 22:40:39 CDT 2006

If I were you, I would consider a thruhike but I would wait until at least
March to start.  Why struggle with the cold?

That said, since nobody is ever going to "give" you time to do a thruhike,
if you ever want to do one, you will have to "take" the time.  From what
you've said, you may find it easiest to take the time now, when you have the
fewest other demands on your time.

If however, you think you're going to end up dwelling on your fear of
missing out on a job opportunity while on the trail, you may find you won't
enjoy the trail experience as much.

If you decide the trail has priority in your life, then you should be able
to let go of that fear.  It seems to me that all (or at least, almost all)
thruhikers end up adopting the attitude while on the trail that things will
always work out.  I've found that is true for me off the trail as well.

I thruhiked at an "opportune" point in my life and never regretted it.  Even
before that, I was always pretty good at making the best of opportunities.
Since my hike, I not only make the best of opportunities, I seem to have
learned how to make opportunities happen and be even better prepared to take
advantage of them when they do.

Best of luck with your decision,

Mara
Stitches, AT99