[at-l] Any body want to talk thru hiking?

Slyatpct at aol.com Slyatpct at aol.com
Thu Oct 5 04:39:52 CDT 2006

In a message dated 10/4/2006 8:56:11 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tfort at jam.rr.com writes:

To put  this into a more precise question....

What motivated you to hike and  when? Did life dictate the timing, or,
were you more exacting?

I was on a move from Massachusetts to Florida when I stopped in the Smokies
for  a week.  A few days later I met a couple that hiked the trail in  1992.
Fasinated with the idea living on the trail and hiking from  Georgia to Maine,
once I got to FL I immediately started planning.   First was David Brill's
book from the library, then the 1996 ALDHA Companion  found at an outfitter,
then the at-l.  On AOL's backpacker chat, I found  out about the Triple Crown.
Before I ever set foot on any  long distance trail, I was doing all three.

Now I'm about to make another move and have shorter trails  in mind such as
the BMT and CT, but may very well re-hike the CDT.

Sly