[at-l] 2007 ShenRUCK...

Richard Mann yugrekih at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 7 16:15:26 CDT 2006

Tentative ideas for a 2007 ShenRUCK (Shenandoah National Park aka SNP):

Why the SNP? - The Appalachian Trail meanders 107 miles through the park, and there are many wonderful side trail opportunities.  There are plenty of camping, lodging and dining possibilities within the park.  It is like a great location for a moving RUCK...

A moving RUCK? - Some of us would move, some of us would not move...

When? - The weather should not be too hot or too cold during the period of time following Trail Days.  Trail Days 2007 will be held the weekend of May 18,19,20.  The SNP weather at this time should be daylight highs in the mid-60s and nighttime lows in the mid- to upper-30s.  Excellent hiking weather in my opinion...

How long? - Why not make this an event that spans the period of time from Trail Days thru Memorial Day.  This would be May 21 thru May 28 - eight days...

What would be on the agenda? - There could be a seven-or-eight-day SNP thru-hike for the hearty souls amongst us.  There would definitely be daily hikes.  There could be a HATT (Hands Across The Trail) hike, where we would hike the SNP in one day - everyone having there own section to hike.  We would have wonderful group meals and campfires.  There could be presentations - we would somehow figure a way to power up a slide projector or a DVD player. We could terrorize the early thru-hikers passing through the park.  We could contact the trail club and do some trail work.  We could go out of the park and canoe on the Shenandoah River or visit the Luray Caverns or day-trip over to our nation’s capitol...

Where would we stay? – There are four campgrounds, some with cabins, and two lodges.  Central in the park is the Lewis Mountain campground, with camping, cabins and snack bar.  This might be the good place to coordinate our activities from.  Or maybe Big Meadows, also central in the park, would be a better choice, because there is a campground and a lodge and a sit-down restaurant…
What if I can only be there for a day, or a few days? – There will be plenty of places around the campfire whenever you can be there…

How much will it cost? – The latest info that I could find:  There is a $15 fee to enter the park which is good for 7 days.  The campgrounds are $19 a night per site (up to six people – and I think two tents).  I couldn’t find rates for the cabins or lodges, but I remember them to be pricey.  There is a group tenting site that puts 20 people together in a big site for $32 a night.  It is in the southern portion of the park near the Loft Mountain Campground though…

What do y’all think???

Pittsburgh