[at-l] another water purifier

Logan Park park at vt.edu
Tue Oct 10 12:55:49 CDT 2006

Bleach (sodium hypochlorite) and Aqua Mira (chlorine dioxide) both use
variations on the chlorine theme.  Bleach works because it is strong
stuff used in relatively high concentrations.  Aqua Mira works because
chlorine dioxide is actually a gas (in our application, dissolved in
water much in ht e same way a coke is carbonated), so it is pretty good
at getting past the chemically resistant cyst outer layers.

The EPA has not to my knowledge released standard testing data on AM,
but this US army evaluation notes that AM will reduce Giardia counts by
a 3-log factor (a factor of 1000 IIRC).  See
http://usachppm.apgea.army.mil/WPD/WPDSHARE/143/AddInfo_McNettAquaMira.pdf#search=%22Aqua%20Mira%20McNett%20giardia%22
Sorry for the long URL!

In the following EPA report,
http://www.epa.gov/ogwdw000/mdbp/pdf/alter/chapt_4.pdf
page 15 et seq. describe chlorine dioxide as more effective than
bleach.  It is a great read if you have a healthy sense of humor
(chlorine dioxie is highly explosive, which is why we generate it onsite
when hiking).

So, short story long, Aqua Mira does in fact kill giardia, and better
than does bleach.  Neither is particularly good against
cryptosporidium.  YMMV.

Hoplite