[at-l] My First Gathering

Eddy ewker at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 18 12:38:01 CDT 2006

very nice report. I look forward to going to my 1st Gathering (hopefully next yr)

  Eddy

Logan Park <park at vt.edu> wrote:
  or, "how I learned to stop worrying and love the hiker funk"

The drive from Blacksburg to Pipestem was an introspective one. I
couldn't help but be reminded of when I piled into my car on my way to
the 2004 PA Ruck, oddly nervous about what I was getting myself into. I
chronicled that weekend here:
http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=52654 . A major factor in the
amazing-ness of that weekend was Starlyte's kindness to me from the very
outset.

How fitting, then, that it was Starlyte's gentle tap on the shoulder and
great big hug at Gathering Registration that switched my weekend from
introvert-flying-solo mode to reuniting-with-great-people mode. Soon
after, I'd found Mara, Skeeter, Rockdancer, eArThworm, and JB.
Bag-o-Tricks later laid the smack down in the Trail Magic session. I
thought that was pretty cool given that he'd given me a bit of
wonderfully unexpected TM in Pennsylvania on my thru.

[ tense change =) ]

So I step out of the Folk Life Center building on Friday afternoon on
cloud nine. Already several dozen tents are lined up against the edge
of the field/lawn. Temporarily out of extravert-fuel from meeting
people at registration, I retreat into silence and start setting up my
tent. The air is cool and getting colder; tonight's upcoming bonfire
will be a welcome source of camaraderie as well as heat.

But before then, I have to get to Concord. From there, it's a bearded
synthetic fabric blur. There's a Speer hammock in there at some point
too. At one point, I'm meeting Hot Dog and having lunch with him and
George "Tin Man" Andrews, whose face simply ignites with a smile when
describing his recent JMT hike. I come away from lunch understanding
why for the first time why everyone seems to like Hot Dog. I shake Ron
Moak's hand.

I catch the second half of Yogi's PCT workshop and end up buying her
guidebook to the PCT. I leave it with a sense of happy dread, because
at the 2004 Ruck, I saw Spur and Ready's PCT slideshow and knew I had to
hike it someday. The dread comes from the sense of the inevitability--
I joined the PCT-L just now to begin researching it.

JB remarks with a happy surprise Saturday night that his date with
Springer is fast approaching. I get so excited for him I can barely
stand still, which is fortunate since it it is pretty stinkin cold at
the folk life center and moving makes some warmth.

The lightweight gear session is a boost when the demonstrators talk
through gear and techniques that I'm pretty familiar with. It seems
after all this time that the tips and advice from AT-L has actually done
me a lot of good.

There's hiker Jeopardy, in which Rockdancer and I get pretty well
thrashed, until Baltimore Jack torpedoes his team.
Several times throughout the weekend I cannot help but observe that life
is, in fact, good.

Rockdancer cathes a lift with me back home for a shower and mid-hike
repacking, and by Monday morning, he's on his way to the farm from which
he'll be back on the trail.

Whatta weekend.

Hop

Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves
http://community.webshots.com/user/ewker