[at-l] Newb on the loose - the questions begin

Raphael Bustin rafeb at speakeasy.net
Sun Oct 22 20:44:54 CDT 2006

At 05:57 PM 10/22/2006 -0700, Victoria wrote:

>Hi all!  I'm a new backpacker getting ready to attempt a thru-hike next
>year.  I'm annoyingly full of questions.
>
>I went out for my very first overnight this weekend, and discovered that
>my 25 degree bag is not quite enough for temps in the low 30s.  I need a
>liner.  Any recommendations?  It has to be tiny, because my pack is tiny
>and already pretty well stuffed.

My approach lately has been to carry a dedicated
clothing to be worn at camp and for sleep *only.*
This includes a pair of cotton flannel pants and
clean cotton t-shirt.  These have to be kept clean
and dry -- with the same zeal as the down bag.

I tried a bag liner once but it was heavy and didn't
seem to improve the bag's warmth at all.

rafe b
aka terrapin