[at-l] Newb on the loose - the questions begin Serious

greyowl at rcn.com greyowl at rcn.com
Mon Oct 23 15:05:06 CDT 2006

I should preference my remarks by stating that I am always hot.  I find that that my 20 F bag is always way too warm, even at 5F.  I have used my summer bag well into the fall by using a thin wool blanket.  Unfortunately after 20 years of abuse the blanket was donated to the ASPCA to use as bedding.  I am thinking of getting one of the fleece blankets for camping with my summer bag.  My wife has one that she uses around the house (we keep the temp in our house around 64 in the winter, I said that I stay hot!!!)

Being 6'6" and way overwieght i find my sleeping bag too confining and I cannot think of any thing worse than a bag liner.  I have heard that if you jump fully clothed into your sleeping bag and then take off all of your clothes you would generate enough heat to stay warm through the nigh.  YMMV!  I have used a brick that was heated in a camp fire and then wrapped in newspaper.  Works pretty well, but who wants to carry a brick around with them when they hike!!  I have never tried a warm water bottle, all of mine leak slightly and that is all I need a week sleeping back.

Bring on the questions.

Bob

If you are not living on the edge then you are taking up too much space.