[at-l] Parc des Grand Jardins--a little hike in Quebec

bluetrail at aol.com bluetrail at aol.com
Wed Oct 25 13:03:28 CDT 2006

Left on a business trip to Quebec October 13, attended a workshop, and then had a day off before the conference started.  Rented a car and explored out a bit from Quebec City.

Thought about hiking at the base of Mt. St. Anne, but it was crowded with Sunday morning hikers, and I was looking for something less crowded and more remote.  I drove further east and then north to a provincial park, Grand Jardins.  The guidebook said the park has a small herd of caribou, but I never saw anything larger than a squirrel.  I hiked the easiest hike, about an hour's easy walk that criss-crossed a rocky stream several times.  Coming from Florida, it was absolutely wonderful:  the day was quite cool, somewhere in the 40's with a brisk wind and there were gorgeous views of rocky-faced mountains.  The birches still had quite a lot of golden leaves and there were colorful, crunchy maple leaves underfoot.  We just don't get that down here--not to mention the air was balsam-scented.

You can see someone else's photos of the Parc here:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/21902270LpGcfjvAMs

After the hike, I tried to take the east-west road through the park, but it was closed the end of the first week of October.  Did encounter a few spritzes of snow between periods of bright sunshine.  I doubled back and stopped at a warden station that was open.  It was very small, just two wardens (Canadian for ranger), a tiny gift shop, and some brochures.  I finally got a park brochure in English, and the wardens were quite nice and helpful in trying to ID some plants I had wondered about on the hike.   They spoke limited English, and I know far less French, but we got by.

The station was the trailhead for one of the most popular trails; this parking lot was almost full of cars.  Given the elevation gain on this trail, my knees and I were glad that I had done the "flat," far less busy trail.

Most interesting thing at the warden station:  they rented Lekis--$9.99 for a day's use.

Bonne journée,
Joan
bluetrail at aol.com