[at-l] Digital cameras-- OT

Raphael Bustin rafeb at speakeasy.net
Mon Oct 30 11:01:02 CST 2006

At 08:43 AM 10/30/2006 -0800, you wrote:

>--- Raphael Bustin <rafeb at speakeasy.net> wrote:
>
> > Batteries and battery life are a consideration for
> > digicams.
> > For hiking, I think "standard" (AA or AAA) batteries
> > make more sense than proprietary Lithium or NiMH
> > batteries.
>
>### This makes alot of sense, but I followed
>Litefoot's advice (she hadn't had a problem and didn't
>foresee one), and have never had a problem re-upping
>battery power. By keeping the LCD screen off and not
>reviewing past pictures (til I hit town), I have gone
>better than 10 days without a charge, never even
>hitting the spare battery. Once in town, you can nuke
>bad pictures, recharge the battery from any outlet in
>town (30-45 minutes, maybe), and be on your way.
>Nowadays, I don't even think I'm carrying a spare
>battery.
>
>So, my experience sez "don' worry."

I agree pretty much.  Back in 2002 I did my Vermont
section hike with a Canon G2 and its (proprietary)
NiMH battery.  I was a bit worried about that, and
carried a spare NiMH battery -- which I never used.
That hike spanned about 10 or 11 days and I got in
a good 250 shots or so.  I spent maybe 3-5 minutes
each evening reviewing the pix on the LCD.

Use (or non-use) of the flash will have a *huge*
impact on battery life, though.  (I tend to not use
the flash very much.)

BTW, the Canon A620 is already "old hat" it seems --
I've already seen them for cheap on eBay.

I don't think you can go terribly wrong with a Canon
or Nikon digicam.  Just be wary of specs that seem
too good to be true <grin.>

rafe b
aka terrapin