[at-l] Ernesto GO AWAY!!

John Hedrick jhedrick at erols.com
Fri Sep 1 05:40:18 CDT 2006

Today would not be a good day for a hike in the Park.  The real danger right
now is a combination of falling trees and high water on the stream
crossings.  If you stay on the AT the stream crossings won't be a major
problem, but on the blue blazed trails some flooding could easily occur.

I just came down from the Park after spending the night in Gravel Spring
Hut.  The Park is virtually deserted and the winds and heavier rain are only
now beginning. I saw only one hiker yesterday and he was trying to get a
hitch out of the Park. There was some thought yesterday to closing the major
Campgrounds due to the danger of falling trees.  I don't know what the
status is this morning.

We probably won't begin the trail assessment until sometime late Saturday or
early Sunday.

Sorry about your hiking plans.

Web Breaker
SNP Ridgerunner